Wednesday 23 November 2022

Desert Island Discs Revisited: Lost Gems - James Stewart


DESERT ISLAND DISCS REVISITED: LOST GEMS - JAMES STEWART (320kbs-m4a/65mb/29mins)
BBC Radio 4 Extra broadcast: 23rd October 2022

From Glenn Miller to Vaughan Monroe.

Legendary Hollywood actor, James Stewart shares his castaway choices with Roy Plomley

In the first of what were to become two castaway appearances (the second was in 1983) Jimmy's disc choices reflect his lifelong love of music, and mark key stages in his life, from early childhood to Second World War service and beyond:

"I can connect almost everything that's happened to me with a piece of music...when I was a kid, when I was at school, when I was in the war....when I was getting into the movies....'"

Highlights of his highly successful film career include: Rear Window, Vertigo, Harvey and It's a Wonderful Life.

BOOK CHOICE - "A book of Brubeck's music"
LUXURY CHOICE - Upright piano
CASTAWAY'S FAVOURITE - Dream - The Pied Pipers

Producer: Ronald Cook

Desert Island Discs was created by Roy Plomley

First broadcast on BBC Radio 4 in May 1974.

Kenneth McKellar - On The Road To Mandalay
Bert Lown & His Orchestra - Bye Bye Blues
Betty Grable - I've Got A Crush On You
Ray Noble & His Orchestra - I Hadn't Anyone Till You
Vaughn Monroe & His Orchestra - There! I've Said It Again
Gordon Jenkins & His Orchestra - Don't Cry Joe
Glenn Miller Orchestra - Moonlight Serenade
The Pied Pipers - Dream

No comments:

Post a Comment