Wednesday 3 June 2020

Desert Island Discs Revisited: Rock & Pop Stars - Debbie Harry

DESERT ISLAND DISCS REVISITED: ROCK & POP STARS - DEBBIE HARRY (320kbs-m4a/98mb/42mins)
BBC Radio 4 Extra broadcast: 8th March 2020

From Nina Simone to Mahler.

Singer and punk icon Debbie Harry shares her castaway choices with Kirsty Young.

Her group Blondie started out in seedy New York bars and went on to achieve international success - selling tens of millions of albums along the way. She was ultra cool - a striking beauty with platinum hair and a sneer. Now aged 65, her trademark look continues to serve her well, she says: "As far as ageing goes it's rough - I try my best - I'm healthy and I exercise like a fiend. I'm glad that I've had all the radical experiences in my life - it suits me."

Record: Mahler's Symphony No.5 in C sharp Minor -4th movement
Book: War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
Luxury: Paints and papers

Producer: Leanne Buckle.

First broadcast on BBC Radio 4 in May 2011.

Gossip - Heavy Cross [Columbia]
Nina Simone - Strange Fruit [Mercury]
Calvin Harris - Merrymaking At My Place [Columbia]
The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat [Verve]
Fever Ray - When I Grow Up [Rabid]
Nino Rota - La Passerella [Butterfly Music]
Peaches - Talk To Me [XL]
Gustav Mahler - Symphony No. 5 In C Sharp Minor - 4th Movement (Adagietto) [EMI]

No comments:

Post a Comment